Harmony at the Heart of Wellbeing: Qigong and the Chinese Arts of Self-care
This conference brings together academics, professional therapists and lay practitioners of Chinese well-being practices.
It explores the pivotal role of Harmony in the Chinese model of well-being, and how this principle extends beyond the practices themselves to broader concerns of how we nurture our relationship to nature and society.
Conference themes include the following:
- Chinese philosophy and medicine: the foundation of self-care practices
- Modern development of self-care: the emergence of medical qigong in China
- Qigong: the Western practitioner and the search for well-being; the role of mindfulness in meditative movement
- Research: the role of science and technology in studies in the West and China
- Pedagogy: how we learn to cultivate well-being; the role of the teacher; authenticity of practice; the evolution of lineages and traditions
- Future perspectives: personal thriving, harmonious living, society and nature
This conference is a collaboration between the Confucius Institute and the Harmony Institute Health Initiative. These two institutes within the university share a common interest in exploring the important contribution of East Asian wellbeing practices to understanding the basis for health and human flourishing. The conference provides a platform for sharing and delving into the different schools of thought, practice, and tradition in qigong and Chinese self-care.
Certificate of Attendance
A certificate of attendance is offered to those delegates attending the conference as part of their CPD.
- Participation in an international conference with leading experts from the UK and China
- Insights into the most up-to-date perspectives on the role of Chinese self-care practices such as medical qigong, taiji and other Chinese life-flourishing practices from expert keynote speakers
- The chance to engage with the underlying principles, theories and philosophies that have shaped qigong, taiji, and yangsheng practices
- Opportunities to discuss with experts how self-care practices inform the flourishing of wellbeing and healthcare policy
- Participation in workshops to experience practices such as qigong, Tang Mi tea ceremony and more
- Full conference pack including the Key Terms in Chinese Wellbeing booklet
- Certificate of attendance
- Access to recordings of talks and workshops to review at leisure